Reader's Room: Turning The Corner
Reader's Room covers the month's speculative fiction, science and technology. In this edition we talk about autonomous vehicles, and how they're still a nuisance on the road if they can't communicate with the humans around them. We also talk about what causes car crashes in professional races, using AI to keep people and sharks safe from each other, and Karin Tidbeck’s powerful short story collection, Jagannath.
- Las Vegas's autonomous shuttle.
- The giant, fire breathing mantis at Container Park.
- Studying car crashes in Formula One Racing suggests that competitiveness is more likely to cause crashes than skill or weather.
- The 2018 Hugo Award nominations are out. Good source of ideas for more for reading, watching, and listening.
- Australian beaches are looking to protect swimmers from sharks using AI linked to buoys and drones to sense sharks in the water.
Subscribe to the podcast